- Last Updated on Thursday, 30 May 2013 11:17
Location and Facilities
Grand Cayman is not only a beautiful location for our Basic Science campus; it is also one of the safest and most advanced islands in the Caribbean. There is no better place to study medicine.
- Pre-clinical Training: Beginning in their very first semester, SMU students are exposed to clinical shadowing opportunities with Cayman physicians in multiple hospitals and clinics. (Click here for more information.)
- “North American” Infrastructure: As the fifth largest financial center in the world and with a thriving tourist industry, Grand Cayman has a highly developed infrastructure which is very comparable to the U.S.
- Lifestyle: The Cayman Islands enjoy one of the highest per capita incomes in the world. Grand Cayman has hundreds of restaurants, scores of banks, world-class hotels, and many opportunities for diving, boating, and other recreation.
- Safety: Grand Cayman has one of the lowest crime rates in the Caribbean.
- Healthcare: The Cayman Islands has a world class health care system including two state-of-the-art hospitals, and boasts one of the highest ratios of physicians to its population in the Caribbean.
- Culture: As part of the British West Indies, the Cayman Islands is an English-speaking country which combines British civility, American efficiency, and Caribbean charm.
- Convenience: Grand Cayman is less than an hour’s flight from Miami, and also has direct flights from Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Charlotte, Houston, New York, Tampa, Toronto, and other international locations.
- Campus: Modern, state-of-the-art Cayman campus facilities include wireless technology available throughout the bright, air-conditioned classrooms, labs, library and student lounges.
- Housing: Students live in inviting residence suites with internet access, swimming pools, and easy access to Seven Mile Beach.