HomeSt. Matthew's University


ECFVG and PAVE Licensure

In order to practice in the United States, graduates of St Matthew's University School of Veterinary Medicine must be certified by either the Programmatic Assessment of Veterinary Education Equivalence (PAVE, a component of the American Association of Veterinary State Boards (AAVSB) or the Educational Commission for Foreign Veterinary Graduates (ECFVG, a committee of the American Veterinary Medical Association). After successfully completing either of these programs, the student is eligible to take the North American Veterinary Licensing Exam (NAVLE).

The process for these two pathways is somewhat similar but not identical. Both require proof of competency in English, either by proof of education in an English speaking high school or via exam (TOEFL or EILTS)

For the PAVE program, the candidate can take the Qualifying Exam during either semester 6 or 7 on campus. Success in passing the QE then allows the student to have a state that accepts PAVE certify them to take the NAVLE. If you are following the PAVE program, the student can then take the NAVLE near the end of their clinical program. The NAVLE exam is given in November/December and in April each year. An important point is that if you have passed the PAVE QE ;prior to doing your clinical training year in an AVMA accredited school/college, you have fulfilled the clinical competency requirement and do not need to take any further exams related to clinical competency. At the present time 38 states in the United States as well as Australia and New Zealand accept the PAVE program as a basis for licensure. For more complete information visit the website

For the ECFVG program, after meeting the English requirement, the candidate must pass the Basic and Clinical Sciences Exam (BCSE). Completion of this exam then permits you to take the NAVLE during your clinical year. After graduation, the candidate must then take and pass the Clinical Proficiency Examination (CPE). The primary site for this exam is the Oquendo Center in Las Vegas and some US Veterinary Schools also administer this exam. More information on the ECFVG program is available at who intend to practice outside of the U.S. must meet the licensing requirements of the country in which they want to practice. At the present time, persons who wish to become licensed in Canada must use the ECFVG route.

Alumni Licensure Experiences